From the moment a baby is born the process of biological, physical and cognitive development begins. The baby learns, grows and develops in to a healthy human being who (ordinarily) will become independent and have children of their own.
There are different views and theories about whether people are born with certain attributes or whether they become products of the environment they grow up in.
This course is going to look at child development and examine the journey that a child takes from their fifth birthday until the cusp of being a teenager.
The course is aimed at anyone working in any child related organisation or anyone who may come across children as part of their day to day role.
It is also useful for parents or anyone with an interest in child development.
By the end of this course learners will understand:
- The normal developmental milestones of children aged 6-12 years
- Changing society and the expectations on children today
- The transition stage from Primary School to secondary School
- The impact of bullying, how bullying starts and the wider issues that bullying can cause
- Preparing for the teenage years and how children begin to gain independence in the world.